Friday, August 11, 2017

Colossians 4 "Guard Our Lips"

“Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.” (v.6)

Here in chapter 4, Paul is reminding us that we as Christians should communicate with one another with grace - whether in casual conversations about trivia or deep discussions about important issues. This is especially true in our day and age as there are so many social media forums form which we can speak to hundreds, even thousands around the world.

The Bible recognizes that communication needs to be monitored with great care. For example, Paul urges in our text that, “our speech should always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” (v.6). His concern was that our speech be graceful, reflecting the beauty of our Savior. And, it must be inviting to others. Talking with the right tone to unbelievers is vital to our ability to witness to them.

Therefore, we need to guard our lips, making David's prayer in Psalm 19:14 our daily prayer: "Let the words of my mouth and the medication of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."

The Truth

“I will guard my ways, lest I sin with my tongue.” (Psalm 39:1)