Friday, August 25, 2017

2 Chronicles 10 "The Division of Israel"

When all Israel saw that the king refused to listen to them, they answered the king: “What share do we have in David, what part in Jesse’s son? To your tents, Israel! Look after your own house, David!” So all the Israelites went home. But as for the Israelites who were living in the towns of Judah, Rehoboam still ruled over them. (vv.16-17)

In 1 Kings 11, the prophet Ahijah predicted that the kingdom would split. Here in our text we see the fulfillment of that prophecy. The seeds of this situation lay in discontent with taxation and forced labor, a result of decades of building projects.

Here in chapter 10, Jeroboam led a delegation asking Rehoboam, the new king, to take it easier on the people. Rehoboam wisely asked for a delay to seek counsel, but then foolishly took the wrong advice. Jeroboam then led a revolt in which the majority of the tribes broke away and followed him. From this point on the ten northern tribes would be called Israel, while the two remaining tribes, Benjamin and Judah, would now be called the nation of Judah.

Today we still see denominational divisions, church splits, doctrinal differences, but when the Lord looks at His church, He sees us all as one people, one church, one body – His. And even though in our text God’s people went in two different directions, and formed two different nations, He still saw both nations as “Israel”, because He did not acknowledge their division.

Oh that we would all look to the One who unites us in Spirit and in Truth and not to those who would cause division, for ultimately we answer to Him.

The Truth

 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one - I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” (John 17:20-23)