Monday, December 2, 2019

Romans 9 "Paul Laments"

“I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh.” (v.3)

Here in chapter 9 the apostle Paul was so concerned that his fellow Israelites did know Christ that he would write, “I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh.” That’s a remarkable statement! Far from thinking about himself, Paul affirmed that he would willingly exchange his eternity for theirs.

As we continue to read the text, it is also pretty obvious from Paul's anguish over his unbelieving fellow Jews that he didn't think God was finished with the children of Israel. There is no argument that God chose Israel to be His representative people on earth (vv.4-5), but not all will enter into His kingdom because of nationality (vv.6-8). Only those who would receive and believe God's promise, which today through God’s grace, includes you and me (v.25).

Paul had a great burden and desire for his fellow Jews to be saved. We can imitate his example by praying that the gospel will penetrate many Jewish hearts as God's people are drawn to their Messiah. The psalmist urged us, 'Pray for the peace of Jerusalem (Psalm 122:6). Pray that God will enable His ancient people to find the peace that comes through faith in Christ. For we are all one body in Christ.

The Truth
“The gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.” (Romans 1:16)