Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Romans 15 "The Scriptures Provide Comfort"

“For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.” (v.4)

I have found tremendous comfort in the scriptures. It never seems to matter what I’m going through, in time, God provides His comfort through His WORD. Patience is the key though and more often than not, His timing is far longer than we might desired to wait. But as scripture tells us, “let patience have it’s perfect work, that we may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing” (James 1:4).

The scriptures also fill us with comfort through the many examples of recorded patience, grace and forgiveness extended to others who were sinners just like us. The prodical son, the women at the well, the thief on the cross, Paul’s conversion, Peter’s denial, etc.  As Matthew West wrote in his song Grace Wins, “There's a war between guilt and grace, and they're fighting for a sacred space, but I'm living proof, Grace wins every time.”

The longer I live the more I am certain of this great truth in my life, nothing comforts me more than God’s Word.

The Truth: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)