Monday, December 30, 2019

Jeremiah 11 “The Broken Covenant”

“Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but everyone walked in the imagination of his evil heart; therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do, but which they have not done.” (v.8)

When God had graciously rescued Israel from the oppression of Egyptian slavery, He formed a binding covenant them. The terms were simple: “Obey me . . . and you will be my people, and I will be your God” (v.4). Unfortunately, God’s people refused to uphold their end of the covenant: “they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts” (v.8). They worshiped other gods; and the covenant was broken.

The people’s sin was so egregious that God said to Jeremiah, “I will bring a calamity on them which they will not escape; and though they cry out to Me, I will not listen to them” (v.11). O the consequences of disobedience and living in rebellion against God. Calamity would befall both Judah and Israel with no escape, and He will not hear their cries.

The same holds true for you and I. If we live in rebellion and rejection of God, He will surely bring us to destruction, no escape, and will not hear our cries. But, if we believe in His Son, Jesus Christ, and confess Him before men, He (Jesus) will confess us before His Father (God) in heaven. And then we will be His people, and He will be our God.

The Truth: Jesus said, "Everyone therefore who shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32-33)