Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Jeremiah 3 “Return Backsliding Israel”

“Return, backsliding Israel, says the LORD and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, says the LORD, and I will not keep my anger forever. Only acknowledge your iniquity (vv.12-13)

That’s all God asks us to do. Acknowledge our iniquity. "If we confess our sins, then He is faithful and just" (1 John 1:9). But do not cover it up, nor gloss it over by justifying ourselves, for then God can’t do anything for us. The Scriptures also tell us, “He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them, will have mercy” (Proverbs 28:13).

In other words, confession is good for the soul. It frees us up by removing the burden of guilt and shame of our sin. But, we must also forsake (abandon) that sin, whatever it may be. For only by turning from it and giving it over to God, can the chain of a hidden/secrete sin in your life be broken. Covering it up will not work. You can’t fool God. Confess it to the LORD, and you will experience His Love, His mercy, His grace, and His freedom from sin.

But, reject His call to repent, and like Israel it will eventually cause His anger to fall upon you. He is merciful and does not desire that any should perish, but "He will not hold His anger forever" (v.12). Better to confess and return to Him today than wait until later in life and risk falling into the hands of an angry God on the day of His return.

The Truth: “When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was turned into the drought of summer. I acknowledged my sin to You. And my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.” (Psalm 32:3-5)