Monday, December 23, 2019

Jeremiah 7 “Trusting in Deception”

“Behold, you are trusting in deceptive words to no avail. Will you steal, murder, and commit adultery and swear falsely, and offer sacrifices to Baal and walk after other gods that you have not known, then come and stand before Me in this house, which is called by My name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—that you may do all these abominations? (vv.8-10)

We can’t have it both ways. We can’t transgress Monday-Saturday and come Sunday stand before God and say we are delivered. We can’t use the death of Jesus as a license to willfully sin, and then think He will pardon us, making His death of no effect. He will cast us out of His sight (v.15), for He sees through our deception.

However many years ago I did just that. Lived a selfish life, answered to no one, and God let me hit rock bottom. Thank God He never quit pursuing me, thank God the Spirit convicted me, thank God He forgave me, and thank God for His Son Jesus Christ who’s blood cleanses a man from all sin, even the sin of denial. No longer double minded, no longer my own, but bought and paid for by my savior Jesus Christ.

The Truth: “For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God; For ye are saved by grace, through faith; and this not of yourselves; it is God's gift: for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)