Saturday, February 17, 2018

Job 27 “Job Maintains His Integrity”

“As long as my breath is in me, and the breath of God in my nostrils, my lips will not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.” (vv. 3-4)

Here in chapter 27 Job maintains his integrity (to his friends) by taking an oath of not speaking wickedly or deceitfully against God. It seems the more his friends tried to convict him, the more adamant Job became in his position of righteousness. Even though he was perplexed as to his situation and in pain, Job remained unshaken in defending his position.

This should speak volumes to us that conviction is the job of the Holy Spirit, not man. It is impossible to argue anyone into repentance. It will just cause people to become more hardened in their own position. Better to love and pray for them, trusting the Holy Spirit will work in their lives on the issues that need attention.


The Truth: “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.” (John 16:7-8)