Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Job 21 “Job’s Discourse on the Wicked”

“Why do the wicked live and become old, and mighty in power?” (v.7)

Throughout the Book of Job his friends have been arguing that Job’s trials are a result of his wickedness. Here in chapter 21 Job argues, “If that be so, why do the wicked still live, become old and powerful. Why do they still prosper” (vv.7-21)? If anything Job’s suffering should have been a sign to them of his godliness. In fact, scripture tells us in 2 Timothy 3:12, “All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.”

Godliness is not the way to prosperity, but it is the way to eternal reward. Yes in this life it often seems as though the wicked prosper while the righteous suffer. However, God never gives us more than we can handle and His trials are not meant to break us, only to refine us.

Therefore, understand that the Father knows the anguish of our heart, the strain of continual frustration, the enemies inside and outside that war against our souls. He alone knows the way to bring us to glory. And, out of all possible paths, He has chosen the best route for what He has in store for us all, to bring us a future and a hope. While like Job, though we may not understand His ways, we can trust  in His sovereignty in our lives.  

The Truth:
“O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it.” (Psalm 139:1-6)