Friday, October 18, 2019

Isaiah 50 “Servant Messiah Obedient Unto Death”

“The Lord God has opened My ear; and I was not disobedient nor did I turn back. I gave My back to those who strike Me, and My cheeks to those who pluck out the beard; I did not cover My face from humiliation and spitting. For the Lord God helps Me, therefore, I am not disgraced; Therefore, I have set My face like flint, and I know that I will not be ashamed.” (vv.5-7)

Once again here in Isaiah 50, the Servant speaks for Himself and declares His obedience to God, the extent of His sacrifice, and His confidence that God will uphold Him in His purity. Conscious of the fact that His service means suffering, He is not disobedient to the call, and His ear is open.

Oh the pain of what He would voluntarily endure in obedience to the Father for you and I. Jesus, who was completely without sin, would willingly lay down His life to redeem us. And here, some 700 years before Jesus is born, we read of the prophesy of His death.

Amazing grace (valor).

The Truth: “I came not to do My will but the will of Him who sent Me.” (John 5:30)