Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Isaiah 38 “Fifteen Years of Grace”

And the word of the Lord came to Isaiah, saying, “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will add to your days fifteen years.” (vv.4-5)

Here in chapter 38, Hezekiah was deathly sick and was told by Isaiah the prophet to, ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live’ (v.1). Not exactly what the king wanted to hear. After which Hezekiah, “turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD” (v.2). Then, before Isaiah had even cleared the middle of the court (2 Kings 20:4), the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will add to your days fifteen years.” This begs the question, “Did Hezekiah's prayer change God’s mind?”

In my lifetime I have both seen and experienced similar events of healing and extended life. On January 22, 2016 I had quadruple bypass surgery. I can remember lying in bed the night before the surgery praying for God’s grace to extend my life. I knew full well the risks and had prepared myself through prayer to meet my maker, if my time had come. Through God’s grace, and the skill of everyone involved in my surgery, I am now 3 ½ years beyond that day. Was it related to my prayer, and the prayers of others? I’d like to think so. But, in reality, it was simply by God’s grace and His sovereign plan for my life.

Did Hezekiah’s prayer change God’s plan for his life? Many have prayed for extended life for loved ones in similar situations, and not all prayers have been answered with a “yes.” Sometime the answer is “no.” We cannot demand that God answer our prayers in just the way we would like. We must be submissive, even as Christ was in the garden of Gethsemane before He was taken to be crucified when He prayed, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours be done” (Luke 22:24). Yes, Hezekiah was healed, and his answered prayer demonstrates God's mercy, and grace, and His sovereign plan for Hezekiah. But a better question might be, "What if he had not asked?"

There is a time though when God will always change His mind; when we repent and turn from sin. Scripture tells us that, “When we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin, and cleans us from all unrighteousness. But, we must ask. And for that opportunity, we can all be eternally thankful.

The Truth: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)