Saturday, March 2, 2019

Proverbs 8 “Choose Wisdom”

“Now then, my children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it. Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For those who find me find life and receive favor from the Lord. But those who fail to find me harm themselves; all who hate me love death.” (vv.32-36)

Wisdom begins with the fear of God. And, as we have seen, the fear of God is to hate evil (v.13). The wisdom of God is found in Jesus Christ, whom God offered as a sacrifice for man, that the evil of man might be defeated. Jesus then is the source of joyous, age-abiding life for all who believe in His sacrifice. Anyone hating this wisdom is acting as if they love death (v.36).

There is no denying that sin is pleasurable for a season (Hebrews 11:25). But there is also no denying that its end is the death of ones soul (Proverbs 14:12). Therefore, God confronts us here with a choice, just as Joshua confronted Israel, with the demand: “choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve” (Josh. 24:15). I would suggest you choose His wisdom.

As Solomon wrote (of wisdom); “Choose the instruction of wisdom instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.” (vv.10-11)

The Truth: “I am the way, the truth and the light. No man may come to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6)