Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Proverbs 20 “The Ebb and Flow”

“The glory of young men is their strength, And the splendor of old men is their gray head.” (v.29)

There was a time when I took glory in my strength. As a young man I was very athletic, and I worked hard at toning and strengthening my body for competition. I had certain goals to achieve and disciplined my body accordingly. But now that glory in strength has long sense faded, and I work smarter not harder, when it comes to the physical.

Today when I look into the mirror, that young man is long gone. My strength is now in the LORD and I work hard at toning and strengthening my walk with Him daily, that I might share His love and grace with others. As Paul wrote to Timothy, “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).

And so I train, that I might run my race well and finish strong.

The Truth:  ”Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, nor the strong man in his strength, nor the wealthy man in his riches. But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD, who exercises loving devotion, justice and righteousness on the earth—for I delight in these things,” declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 9:23-24)