Friday, October 26, 2018

Psalm 119 “God’s Word Celebrated”

“I rejoice at Your Word as one who finds great treasure.” (v. 162)
“Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.” (v. 165)

This psalm is the longest chapter in the Bible, one-hunderd-and-seventy-six verses, and is a psalm that is dedicated to God’s Word. Each verse (with the exception of two), declares something about the Word of God. Therefore, all the way through it we will find phrases like, "Thy law," "Thy statutes," "Thy judgments," "Thy words," "Thy truth”, and "Thy ways.” Of all the 176 verses the psalmist uses to expound on God’s Word, two hit me like a ton of bricks this time through.

“I rejoice at Your Word as one who finds great treasure” (v. 162). I can’t tell you how many times as I am reading my Bible, God’s Word ministers to me immediately. It is as though a particular scripture, written thousands of years ago, was penned just for me. In those moments, it’s just as though I had found a great treasure, as His Word speaks comfort, encouragement, and purpose to my heart.

“Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble” (v. 165). What a great truth this is. How often do we worry and fret about things totally out of our control? Spending too much time with the, “What if’s” or the “could be’s” in life, when we could be exercising our faith in Him - not wavering or stumbling, but trusting that "all things are working together for our good."

Therefore, treat you Bible as a great treasure. Be in it every day. And the peace of God which passes all understanding will be yours, as He confirms to your heart His great truths.

The Truth: "My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commandments; for they will add length to your days, years and peace to your life.” (Proverbs 3:1-2)