Thursday, January 23, 2020

Jeremiah 27 “The Sovereignty of God”

“I have made the earth, the men and the beasts which are on the face of the earth by My great power and by My outstretched arm, and I will give it to the one who is pleasing in My sight.” (v.5)

Today’s passage presents the sovereignty of God, that nothing is beyond His knowledge or control. God created all things, and “will give dominion of them to anyone He (I) pleases” (v.5). Even Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, was not a freelance ruler moving about on his own, but is described by God as, “my servant” (v.6).

At God’s bidding Babylon would retain power for generations, but then it too would be subjugated to other powers. Everything that was happening to Judah, no matter how difficult, was still within God’s control. Submitting to Babylon was submitting to God, who had orchestrated Babylon’s rise, its conquering of Judah, and eventual demise.

We, like Judah, may not agree with all that comes our way, but one thing is clear, God is in control, and we must trust in His plan and control, even in the face of great difficulty.

The Truth: “Remember what happened long ago, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and no one is like Me. I declare the end from the beginning, and from long ago what is not yet done, saying: My plan will take place, and I will do all My will.
I call a bird of prey from the east,
a man for My purpose from a far country.
Yes, I have spoken; so I will also bring it about.
I have planned it; I will also do it.” (Isaiah 46:9-11)