Saturday, January 4, 2020

Jeremiah 14 “Distress Before Deliverance”

“For I will restore them to their own land which I gave to their fathers. Behold, I am going to send for many fishermen,” declares the Lord, “and they will fish for them; and afterwards I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them from every mountain and every hill and from the clefts of the rocks. For My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face, nor is their iniquity concealed from My eyes. I will first doubly repay their iniquity and their sin, because they have polluted My land; they have filled My inheritance with the carcasses of their detestable idols and with their abominations.” (vv.15-18)

Once again in today’s passages, we are met with the familiar theme of rebuke over sin and the warning of judgment. Like their forefathers, Judah had forsaken God, followed other gods, and remained in stubborn disobedience. Even the prophet’s plea for God’s mercy fell on deaf ears (vv.7-9). Jeremiah recognized Israel’s covenant faithlessness, but nevertheless turned to God, the “hope of Israel, its Savior in times of distress” (v.8).

Yet in response, God reminded them of their unrestrained sin and their coming judgment. In Jeremiah 16, God handed them over to what they wanted: to worship false gods all day long, this time in a foreign land. It would seem that Judah’s sin had reached a climactic point of no return and God’s mercy was exhausted. Or was it?

Just when it seemed all hope was gone, we find within this dark message a new theme: grace. Briefly, but clearly, God hinted that after the imminent punishment, there would be a day of restoration to their land (Jer 16:14–15). Just as God once brought Israel out of Egypt, so again He would bring them out of the hands of the northern oppressors. Another example of God’s faithfulness to those He loves.

The Truth: “Do not loose heart when He rebukes you, because the LORD disciplines those He loves.” (Hebrews 12:5-6)