Monday, January 20, 2020

Jeremiah 24 “God’s Restoration Through Discipline”

“Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘Like these good figs, so I will regard as good the captives of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans. For I will set My eyes on them for good, and I will bring them again to this land; and I will build them up and not overthrow them, and I will plant them and not pluck them up. I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the Lord; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart.’ (vv.5-7)

Here, in Jeremiah’s vision of the “good figs,” we find an important lesson about God’s discipline. Even when God does discipline us, His discipline does not mean abandonment. Just like those who were being carried off to Babylon did not realize it was “for their own good.” They probably thought: “God has forsaken us,” rather than “God has protected us.” But by being taken away, they were spared the terrible, prolonged siege on Jerusalem by Babylon.

Even in discipline, God has our good in mind, our restoration, and our protection. All we must do is learn from our sin, repent, and restoration will come.

The Truth: “All things work together for good to those who love God, who have been called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)