Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Jeremiah 15 “Jeremiah’s Dejection”

“Woe to me, my mother, that you have borne me as a man of strife and a man of contention to all the land! I have not lent, nor have men lent money to me, yet everyone curses me.” (v.10)

Here in chapter 15 we find Jeremiah dejected, questioning, complaining to God that everyone is against him, striving with him, contending against his message. Why? Because his message contained prophecies of destruction, along with a call for repentance, which made him an outcast among his own people, who no longer followed after the LORD their God.

But there is more to this story. Amid Jeremiah’s dejection there is encouragement. I see in all this the idea that, while we may complain to God or even question Him (like Jeremiah) in times of trial or uncertainty, He will restore us (as He did Jeremiah), and carry us through any hardship (vv.19-21). As we continue in His will, our weaknesses are made perfect in His strength and then all things become possible for us in Christ who strengthens us. We become renewed, refreshed, ready to carry on.

Therefore, remain steadfast in the LORD and to His calling on your life. For He who has begun a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it.  

The Truth: “For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:13)