Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Psalm 85 “A Prayer of Restoration”

“Show us your mercy , O LORD, and grant us Your salvation” (v.7)

Much of the Old Testament is filled with the Israelites' obedience, disobedience, obedience again, disobedience again, etc. In those times of sin and disobedience, God sent prophets to warn the people that as judgment for their sin, He would send other nations in to conquer them.

True to His Word, after years of their continually falling into sin, God sent the Babylonians and the Assyrians in to conquer Israel and to carry off most of the people into captivity for seventy years. In this Psalm the Lord (in His timing) has once again withdrawn His chastisement of His people, and returned the Israelites to their own land. And the Psalmist correctly records that it is God alone whom they must trust for "mercy and salvation” (v.7).

In looking back over my life, I see God's mercy woven all through it. And like the children of Israel, I too had to learn the hard way. His mercy towards me during my rebellion was inexhaustible, His grace never ending, and His pursuit relentless. Until, finally realizing that God alone can forgive my sin, and that He is whom I must turn to for "mercy and salvation” - I did! Won't you?

Thank you Lord for Your mercy and Your salvation, Jesus Christ - And for His long-suffering in my life.

The Truth: "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)