Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Psalm 80 “Restore Us, O God of Hosts”

“Restore us, O God of hosts; cause your face to shine, and we shall be saved!” (v.7)

Psalm 80 deals with Israel and Judah during the time of the Babylonian captivity. In it, the psalmist cried out to the Lord on behalf of the people, asking that God would deliver them. Throughout the song, he acknowledged that the only hope they had was for the God of hosts face to shine on them, or look with pleasure on their difficult situation; for without that, they would be lost. Consequently, three times the psalmist petitions the “God of hosts” to restore them (v. 3, 7, 19).

The phrase “restore us” means to “turn us back.” In this case, the psalmist cries out for a return of the people to fellowship with God, a revival. Revival always begins in the heart of the individual. Pastor Leonard Ravenhill once wrote, “Evangelism affects the other guy but revival affects me.”

Frederick the Great, the Prussian king from 1740–1781, was once touring a Berlin prison. During his visit the prisoners fell on their knees before him, proclaiming their innocence—except for one man, who remained silent. Frederick called to him, “Why are you here?” “Armed robbery, your majesty,” came the reply. “And are you guilty?” “Yes indeed, your majesty; I deserve my punishment.” Frederick then summoned the jailer and ordered him, “Release this guilty wretch at once. I will not have him kept in this prison where he will corrupt all these fine innocent people who occupy it.”

Never stop praying for restoration in the lives of your friends and loved ones, but also never forget, it begin with you. Our prayer, like Asaph’s, when we get off target should be, “Restore us, O God of hosts; and we shall be saved.”

The Truth: "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.” (Psalm 51:10-13)