Monday, June 25, 2018

Psalm 61 "Lead Me To The Rock"

“When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to “The Rock” that is higher than I.” (v.2)

The term rock is often used to describe God in the Scriptures. When Jesus told the parable of building our house on a rock, He was speaking of God. The parable symbolizes that when we build on Him, no matter how overwhelming our lives may feel, we will stand firm. David expressed his reliance on the God here in our text when he wrote, “the rock that is higher than I.” This ties in with his realization from psalm 60 that he should not trust in his own strength, but look to the Lord, for his help comes from Him.

When we think of David, many things come to mind; a writher, a warrior, a king. This prayerful man after God’s own heart fought a bear, a lion, a giant, led troops into battle, and took on 300 Philistines, and yet we see him cry out to God. Even this powerful, strong, and confident king knew there was someone stronger, someone greater, and higher than he - Jesus, the “Rock” of our salvation.  

The Truth: “The LORD is my rock and my or tress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust: My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2)