Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Psalm 54 “The Lord Delivers”

“For He has delivered me out of all trouble; And my eye has seen its desire upon my enemies.” (v.7) 

David wrote this psalm when the Ziphites told Saul that he was hiding among them and that they would hand him over to Saul (1 Sam. 23:19–20). In response, David cried out to the Lord for help. His cry however, was not one born out of desperation. David, who had often experienced God supplying him a way of escape, so firmly believed God’s promises that he anticipated God’s deliverance with confidence. And, we know from historical records, God did deliver David from the Ziphites.

Today we can also rest in the confidence that God will deliver us, and will always make a way of escape for us (1 Cor. 10:13). But the key is believing in Jesus. Jesus said, “He that believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it” (John 14:12-14). As Jon Courson put it, “Faith sees the glory of the future, not the doom of the present.” 

Therefore, ask in faith and rest in the mighty agent who will fulfill His promises.

The Truth: "Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3)