Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Psalm 3 “Salvation Belongs to the LORD"

(A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son)

“I cried to the LORD with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill” (v.4)

Here we find David at what may be considered his lowest of low points. His son, Absalom, had betrayed him and led a rebellion against his throne (2 Sam. 15-19). His enemies surrounded him, and his situation seemed hopeless, yet he demonstrates complete faith that God would deliver him. Why? Because David knew God was greater than the terrible situation he was in, even greater than the betrayal of his own son.

He trusted that God would be his protection and seized on the picture of the Lord as a shield (v. 3a), an image also found in Moses’ final blessing on the Israelites (Deut. 33:9). David further declared his confidence that God would not only save him, but give him the victory (v. 3b). He was sure enough of God’s answer that he could sleep peacefully under the Lord’s protection (v. 5), and not loose heart when foes were drawn up on every side (v. 6).

What do we do when things seem hopeless; panic, give up, toss and turn, loose heart? I suggest we take a page from Psalm 3 and go immediately to prayer knowing God is greater than any situation. Then sleep peacefully under our God's protection knowing with Whom we are aligned. 


The Truth: “Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’” (Isaiah 12:2)