Thursday, March 1, 2018

Job 36 “Elihu: Claims Perfection in Knowledge”

“Bear with me a little, and I will show you that there are yet words to speak on God’s behalf. I will fetch my knowledge from afar; I will ascribe righteousness to my Maker. For truly my words are not false; one who is perfect in knowledge is with you.” (vv.2-4)

Pretty arrogant of Elihu to claim he is perfect in knowledge and will bring righteousness to God by speaking for Him. Scripture asks the question, “For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor” (Romans 11:34)? But, it does not answer with “Elihu.”

When counseling others or claiming that the LORD has given you a “Word” for them, one must be careful not to make it about you. While Elihu did have it right when he spoke of God’s awesome power and His abundant provision (vv.27-33), he went about it wrong by elevating himself. His use of the pronouns "I" and "My" in our text show his pride in placing himself above the others (Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar), including God. 

Therefore, always take yourself out of the equation when counseling others and allow God to insert His Word into their life. 

The Truth: “For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.” (Romans 11:36)