Monday, January 16, 2017

2 Samuel 4 "Jehovah Protects"

“As the LORD lives, who (He) has redeemed my life from all adversity.” (v.9b)

A common custom during the rise to power by a new king, was to eliminate all family of the previous king. This was done to cut-off the blood line and any potential claim to the throne. After the death of Saul and Jonathan (his son), there existed two remaing descendants to the throne. Ishbosheth, son of Saul and Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan.

Here in chapter 4, two of Ishbosheth’s captains killed him as he slept, no doubt thinking they would be handsomely rewarded for eliminating one of the remaing threats to David’s claim on the throne (vv.7-8). On the contrary, David told them their reward for killing a righteous man, in his own house, as he slept would be, “their removal from the earth” (v.11).

David did not need anyone’s greedy, unrighteous, wicked help to fulfill God’s promises. The LORD had been his protector and had redeemed his life from all adversity, and would continue to do so. Therefore, David would depend on God to crown him and complete His work in and through him, not man.

May we all gain strength through David's example to lean on God for His guidance and protection.

The Truth

“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies (Psalm 18:2-3)