Friday, January 27, 2017

2 Samuel 13 Amnon and Tamar"

“After this (the capture of Rabbah) Absalom the son of David had a lovely sister, whose name was Tamar; and Amnon the son of David loved her.” (v.1)

In 1974, the song “Cats in the Cradle” was a #1 Billboard hit. It spoke of a young boy who grew up vowing to be like his father. Unfortunately, the father never had time for his young son, and eventually the roles are reversed. The grown son now has no time for his father and the song ends with the haunting words: “And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me / He’d grown up just like me / My boy was just like me.”

This theme of the son becoming like the father is portrayed vividly in today’s reading, as David’s sins of lust, adultery, deceit, and murder are now played out in even darker ways by his own sons. David himself is portrayed as a weak and ineffective father who saw sin but did nothing about it, despite his apparent fury.

As a parent or grandparent, understand that your actions, or the lack of them, have consequences. Therefore, seek the LORD’s guidance for how to leave a legacy of godliness to your family, as we do not want to instill expectations that seem to excuse sin. We can not say one thing and yet do another. Be that life example and walk your talk.

For David, all this can be laid at his feet as a consequence of his sin with Bathsheba and reveals the outward manifestation of God’s promised judgment on David and his house (2 Samuel 12:10). If patterns of generational sin have plagued your house, ask the LORD for His grace and deliverance.

The Truth

“I will lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1-2)