Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Abraham's Prayer For Ishmael

Genesis 17:18

“And Abraham said to God, O that Ishmael might live before you!”

For thirteen years Ishmael had been the “son of the house”, and regarded probably as the true heir. Mingled then with Abraham’s joy there was also the pain (natural to a father) of knowing that this transference of the promise to Sarah’s child (Isaac) meant the deposition and disappointment of one who for so long had held the post of honor, Ishmael. (Genesis 17:19)

But, God heard and accepted Abraham’s prayer; and while the birthright and religious pre-eminence is justly given to the son of the freewoman (Isaac), there is a large earthly blessing for the handmaid’s son, Ishmael, as well. He is to be fruitful, beget twelve princes, and become a great nation. But Isaac is to be the heir of promise.

God allows us in prayer to be particular in making our requests known, as we see here with Abraham. As parents, it is our duty of to pray for our children, and the great thing we should desire is, that they may be kept in covenant with Him, and may have the grace to walk in His presence uprightly (Genesis 17:1).

The Truth

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.” (John 14:12-14)