Tuesday, September 2, 2014

True Obedience

Romans 16:19a

“For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf.”

Paul is telling the saints in Rome that their obedience to the principles of the Gospel is known everywhere and that gives him joy. (As it would any shepherd) He is speaking here of an obedience that is motivated by love, that flows from a new heart, which now desires and is empowered to be obedient to the Master’s voice and to follow His statutes.

However, Paul also warns them to, “be wise in what is good and simple to what is evil.” (Romans 16:19b)

Meaning, don’t be fooled into another gospel. If we say, “I believe in the gospel of God” and yet continually are disobedient to God, that is not submission. We cannot be truly obedient by developing our own gospel or following another.

Help me Lord to be obedient to your voice and give me the ability to hear that still small voice in this crazy, loud, fast paced world. Amen

The Truth

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.” (Ezekiel 36:26-27)