Monday, August 23, 2021

Matthew 26 "The Natural Will vs The Spiritual Will"

In the garden before His hour had come, Jesus had a struggle of wills. The natural will (if it is possible, let this cup pass from me), and the spiritual will (Not My will but Your will be done). Jesus was truly struggling, looking for another way if possible. 

Scripture tells us He was in such conflict during prayer, that His sweet became great drops of blood, and that angels were sent from heaven to strengthen His failing human body (Luke 22:43). And while He was struggling and in such great conflict of soul, His disciples slept. Yet He was obedient through it all unto death, even the death of the cross. 

There are times in our lives where we all have faced this same type of struggle, our Nature vs our Spirit (or for some, conscious). We know what we should do, yet we look for another way, a less painful route to accomplish our task, or even a way out all together. And often times in our experience, like Jesus, when we are in the depths of our struggle, those closest to us seem unaware, and we are left to our own will. 

Jesus knew exactly what He was facing (the pain and agony of the cross) and in His human body He looked to His heavenly Father for another way to accomplish the goal of salvation for mankind. Yet forgiveness of sin demanded a blood sacrifice, one without blemish or spot. So, "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son" to accomplish that end. And Jesus, though struggling in His human flesh, obediently performed the will of His Father and made a way for all mankind to choose salvation, though He could have called a legion of angels to rescue Him.

This speaks to me on so many levels, not the least of which is pouring out my heart to God, even if I am struggling with what I know I must do. Knowing He will meet me there, strengthen me, and carry me through to accomplish His divine will for my life. For He will not leave us nor forsake us, and has made a way for all through the valley of the shadow of death.

The Truth: "Even though I walk through the valley of death, You are with me." (Psalm 23)