Monday, August 2, 2021

Exodus 6 "God's Promises Through Moses To Israel"

 “Therefore say to the children of Israel: ‘I am the LORD; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the LORD your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage: I am the LORD.’” (vv.6-8)

Here in verses 6-8, this promise was given by God through Moses to the children of Israel. In the previous 5 verses God speaks only to Moses, as Moses was in need of encouragement himself. God now goes the extra mile to confirm this covenant with the children of Israel with His seven I will promises. In these seven separate I will promises, God basically said, “I’m going to bring you out of Egypt. You can count on Me to deliver you.” 

These promises were glorious to the nation, and are equally so in their spiritual application to us as believers today. At the end God concluded the promises to the nation by reminding them of His covenant making and covenant-keeping name, "I Am the LORD."

The response of the children of Israel was completely in line with their current circumstances, they did not heed the message given by Moses (v.9). Their centuries of slavery made them think like slaves instead of people of the covenant. Pharaoh was bigger in their eyes than God was. So sad.  

Today, many Christians find themselves in the same place. They find it hard to trust God and believe that He is for them. This is why Paul says we must not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Romans 12:1-2). The children of Israel needed their minds renewed, and we do as well when we lose our focus. 

The Truth: “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.” (Hebrews 11:8)