Thursday, August 12, 2021

Exodus 13 "Israel's Journey Out Of Egypt"

"So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness. And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night. He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people." (vv.20-22)

When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them by the coastal route, although it was the shortest and most common way to go from Egypt to Canaan. Yet it was also the road where Egypt’s military outposts were. God knew the people of Israel were not ready to face this yet, "lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt, so God led the people around by way of the wilderness of the Red Sea." (vv.17-18) 

It would have been easy for the Israelites to think that the Via Maris road was the way to go; it had good, easy roads, the shortest distance, it was a trade route so food and water could be bought. But the dangers of that way were too great. Therefore God led them by another route, by way of the wilderness of the Red Sea where they would have to rely on Him.

In the same way, God will never allow us to face more than we are able to bear; He knows what we can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13). And Just as the Lord led the children of Israel through the desert and did not remove that guidance (the cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night), so He leads us by His spirit through the deserts in our lives and is always with us. 

The Truth: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.” (Psalm 23:4-6)