Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Habakkuk 3 “Keep Your Faith In God”

“Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.” (vv.17-18)

Verses 17 and 18 are perhaps the best-known and best-loved verses in the book of Habakkuk, and seem more relevant than ever in these difficult economic times. They are an example of unwavering faith in God, despite difficult circumstances. 

Here in our text, things are as bad as they can possibly be. The trees do not bud, the crops do not ripen, and the livestock are dead. A modern paraphrase might read: “The cupboards are bare,” yet the prophet says, "I will rejoice in the Lord." The bottom line here is not the circumstances in which he and the people of Judah find themselves in, but God (v. 19). He (God) is their source of confidence and strength, the only Rock on which they can rely.

Life can be just as difficult in our world as well. At some point, most of us have wondered, “Where is God in my trouble?” And we may have thought, 'It seems like injustice is winning and God is silent." And in those times, we all had a choice as to how we responded to our troubles. The prophet Habakkuk had an attitude worth following: He made the choice to rejoice in God and keep his faith in Him.

We too can choose to be focused on the Lord, and not on our circumstances, to live above the shadows of fear and bask in the sunlight of faith. Even though we, like Habakkuk, may have a long list of troubles, faith’s answer to disappointment must always be: “Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation” (v.18). That type of attitude will enable us to live above the circumstances instead of under them. Therefore, "keep your faith in God," and your eyes on Him.  

The Truth: “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1)