Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Psalm 18 “A Psalm of Deliverance”

“I will love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust: my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies" (vv.1-3). 

This Psalm is an exaltation of God’s deliverance and protection. David wrote it specifically to praise God for delivering him from the hand of his enemies and from Saul, who had tried to kill him (2 Samuel 22:1). The language in this Psalm of David provides great imagery that can help us understand how powerful God’s protection for His people really is, and His justice against His enemies.

However, His deliverance is not always in our timing or even in this lifetime. There are times when God does not deliver us from our enemies/trials; Stephen in the book of Acts is an example, and even our LORD Jesus is another. But, ultimately God does deliver us (as He did with His Son through His resurrection), if we place our full trust in Him. Therefore, just as David in his desperation cried out to the LORD and God heard him, we too can be sure God will hear our cries as well. As believers, His Holy Spirit indwells in our hearts and therefore is never far from hearing. 

God’s strength made David a mighty warrior, able to overcome any obstacle; Goliath, an army, a king. So too it is with all believers. Only by God’s power can we overcome the trials and the difficulties we face in this life. Therefore, call upon the name of the LORD for deliverance and you will find in Him the ultimate refuge, against which no enemy can conquer.

The Truth: “Then David spoke to the Lord the words of this song, on the day when the Lord had delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. And he said, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer.” (2 Samuel 22:1)