Thursday, January 18, 2018

Job 7 “Job Talks to God"

"Have I sinned? What have I done to You, O watcher of men? Why have You set me as Your target, so that I am a burden to myself?” (v.20)

After enduring the loss of his 10 children, his servants, his house, and all of his animals (in one day). After mourning for 7 days, then being lectured to by a friend concerning some unconfessed sin in his life - Job cried out to God, “Have I sinned? What have I done to You? Why have You set me as Your target” (v.20)?

Despite all that has happened and all that Job has said, notice he did not denied the Lord, he communicates with Him. He does not turn from God, but to God and cries out to Him with his questions. Not only that, Job admits that he is angry with God. He does not understand what God is doing, and he’s not afraid to let God know it by letting go of some very honest, almost accusatory, words (vv.11-13). But, these words reflect Job’s heart; even in his anger, Job continues to talk to God.

When it comes to suffering there are many things we will never understand. What I take from this portion of scripture however is, that’s it’s OK to ask God questions, to express to Him our emotions, even the expression of honest anger in our suffering. However, we should not question, blame, doubt, or deny Him in the trials. For all things are meant for our good. We may not see it in the trial, but we will understand in time. The key is to endure through trusting in Him, keeping our eyes on Jesus who suffered for us, even the death of the cross.   

The Truth: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)