Friday, February 3, 2017

2 Samuel 18 "David Wept"

The king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept. And thus he said as he walked, “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!” (v.33)

David and Absalom suffered from a broken relationship. While walking through life both parties committed acts that alienated the other. David’s refusal to punish Amnon for raping Absalom’s sister Tamar, led Absalom to plot the death of Amnon himself (13:21-34). Absalom’s bitterness toward his father sparked a conflict that ended with his own death (v.14). The battle was a bitter victory for King David, causing him to lament his lost son and their failed relationship (v.33).

We can learn from David’s regret when dealing with broken relationships. The pain of trying to make things right can be hard. But it’s much better to do what we can to make things right in the living years. For no amount of grieving could undo David’s heartache, or our own if we don't.

The Truth

“Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.” (Matthew 5:9)