Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Exodus 3 "Moses Is Called"

"Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt." (v.10)

During the early decades of Moses' life, he decided to his pleasure that he was being prepared to deliver Israel out of bondage. It seemed logical—the circumstances of his birth and subsequent adoption by the house of Pharaoh, his education, mental abilities, oratorical skills—it all fit! But then he was forced out of Egypt in disgrace and became a mere sheepherder, an occupation loathed by the Egyptians (Genesis 46:34). And now, four decades had passed and his pride was trampled in the dust of Midian.

Now it happened when Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, as he was leading the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Mount Horeb, the mountain of God, that the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn” (vv.1-3).

Then, when the LORD saw that Moses had turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then God said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob” (vv.4-6). And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.

Then the LORD said: “I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites. Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt” (vv.7-10). His (Moses) response, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"

Forty years before, Moses thought he knew who he was: he was a prince of Egypt and a Hebrew, God’s chosen instrument to deliver Israel. After forty years of chasing sheep around the desert, Moses didn’t have the same self-sure confidence that he once had. He shows his doubts here to be used of God (v.11).  Ah, finally, humility! In God's eyes he is now ready.

Truth be told who are any of us, that we should do or say anything on behalf of God? ALL of us are disqualified for ministry, but when we are called we should go because He will do the work in and through us. His strength is perfected in our weakness. We can't do it, but He can - "So send I you."

The Truth: ‘And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.’ (2 Corinthians 12:9)