Wednesday, March 24, 2021

2 John "Walk In Truth And Love"

 “This is love, that we walk according to His commandments (truth). This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it (Love). And this is love, that we walk after His commandments.” (v.5-6)

Truth and Love are essential in our walk as Christians. Here in today's reading, John commends the “elect lady” for walking in the truth (v.4), but he reminds her of the command to love (vv.5-6).

Truth without love can make a person harsh, aloof, and unapproachable. Many churches are dogmatic in truth but lack love and grace. They do not experience truth; they just assert it. They are sound in doctrine, but sound asleep in in love and grace. The Pharisees of 2000 years ago believed their Bible, but they were dead to a vital walk with God. Walking in the truth is more than believing the truth. It is practicing the truth and this involves loving one another. 

On the other hand, love without truth is just as dangerous. It can allow problems to grow unchecked, take root in the church, and in our lives. A believer who truly loves, walks “in the truth" as proof that he/she loves God, and will keep His commandments.

Jesus said, “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:10).

Walking by truth alone can be as dry as pine straw. It is “Love” that makes obedience light. Keeping God’s will out of a sense of duty or obligation and with little love for God, is not true love. True love is a response to God from the heart, and obedience follows. Therefore, "walk in truth" and “love one another" even as Christ loved you and gave His life for you.

The Truth: “He who has my commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” (John 14:21)