Thursday, September 10, 2020

Philippians 1 “Pulled in Two Directions”

“To me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain… I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.” (vv.21-24)

As Christians, we are pulled in two directions. We all want to go to heaven, but this life also holds great appeal. Now, we don't need to feel guilty for having a strong desire to enjoy life. Marriage, a family, a fulfilling job, travel, recreation, these all have a legitimate appeal. But if the delights of our earthly home are so attractive that we lose sight of God's purpose for putting us here, then something is wrong.

The apostle Paul had mixed feelings too. Although he believed he would be released from prison, he knew that he could possibly fall victim to Nero's sword. This created a conflict. He longed to be with Christ, for that would be "far better" (v.23), but he also wanted to live--not merely to enjoy life but to minister to his fellow believers who needed him (v.24).

Though Paul was pulled in two directions, and in both cases it was for the highest reason, one could say he had a single mindedness of purpose, to live for Christ.

The Truth: "None of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." (Acts 20:24)