Thursday, September 3, 2020

Hosea 11 “God’s Sympathy During Chastening”

“How can I give you up, Oh Ephraim? How can I surrender you, O Israel? How can I make you like Admath? How can I treat you like Zebolim? My heart is turned over within Me, all My compassion's are kindled. I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim. For I am God, and not man, The Holy One in your midst; and I will not come with terror.”(vv.8-9).

In this scripture we truly see the heart of a loving father, struggling to punish his child, to the point that He questions how the judgment should be carried out. God takes no pleasure in the chastening about to come upon Israel. Instead He says, “My sympathy is stirred.”

Admah and Zeboiim were two cities near Sodom and Gomorrah that were also destroyed (Deuteronomy 29:23). God says, “I can’t bear to allow My people to be caught up in the destruction that will come upon all the nations, as Admah and Zeboiim were caught up on the destruction that came upon Sodom and Gomorrah.”

Though their sin deserves it, God will not wipe out Israel. He will leave a remnant, and will restore the nation. The longsuffering, forgiveness, and compassion of the Lord toward His people seems unbelievable until we recognize that He is not man, but God. His love and forgiveness are of a different order. Charles Spurgeon observed that there are many differences between God and man in the matter of forgiveness.

God hates judgment and longs that His people might be rescued from sin. And, just as He was willing to rescue Israel (a polluted and idolatrous people) so He is also willing to save us, if we will just recognize our sin.

Thank you Lord for your patience and long suffering with us. Thank you that you are willing to seek and to save those which are lost. Thank you for seeking me.

The Truth: “The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.” (Psalm 103:8)