Monday, May 14, 2018

Psalm 42 “My Soul Thirsts For the Living God”

"As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul longs for you, O God; My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.” (vv.1)

Here the psalmist uses the picture of a deer searching for water to quench its thirst to show us how his soul feels: parched, dry, and in need of spiritual refreshment. It is this state of dryness that brings about the hopelessness he is expressing here. Because David's soul is lacking the life-giving water of God’s Word, he feels faint, and close to spiritual death. He needs the “living water”, to reawaken his soul so he might once again feel the presence of God, to worship Him, and give Him the praise due His name.

Do you long for the LORD? Does your soul thirst for the living God? I hope so. And I pray that you will find fulfillment and refreshment in His Word, that It becomes your "water brook” during times of dryness, so you too might feel His presence and sing to Him songs of praise.

The Truth: Jesus said to the "woman at the well" who came water to draw, "Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give will never thirst. But the water that I give will become in him a living fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:13-14)