Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Psalm 38 “Confessing Our Sins”

“I confess my iniquity; I am full of anxiety because of my sin” (v.18)

Psalm 38 is traditionally considered one of the seven “penitential psalms,” with the others being Psalms 6, 32, 51, 102, 130, and 143. The main point is found in verse 18: “I confess my iniquity; I am full of anxiety because of my sin.” Thus, when the psalmist asked the Lord to help him, we understand that he was talking primarily about forgiveness.

David’s soul was sick, and he described these feelings in intense physical terms. He had no health, his bones were unsound, his back ached, his wounds festered, he was mute and deaf, he felt crushed and helpless. All these symptoms afflicted him because he knew he had offended God (v. 4). The physical imagery is so vivid here that some commentators actually think the psalmist had a life-threatening illness! 

As Psalm 38 portrays, there’s nothing heavier than the burden of sin, but, nothing sweeter than God’s forgiving love. Therefore, if you are under such a heavy weight, why carry it around, why let it beat you up, lay it down at the feet of Jesus, renew your commitment to righteousness, and enjoy fellowship with Him and the body of Christ once more. "Just DO-IT," you'll be glad you did!

The Truth: “If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleans us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)