Monday, March 20, 2017

1 Kings 9 "Solomon's Prayer Heard"

And the Lord said to him: “I have heard your prayer and your supplication that you have made before Me; I have consecrated this house which you have built to put My name there forever, and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually.” (v.3)

Here in chapter 9 the LORD acknowledges to Solomon that He has heard his prayers and supplications. We could stop right there and get tremendous encouragement out of this passage concerning God’s ear to our prayers. However, the main focus of this passage is God’s response to Solomon’s prayers. The LORD promised to establish Solomon’s kingdom if, “he walked before Him as his father David walked in integrity of heart” (v.4).

What does this mean? Well, it certainly doesn’t mean Solomon must be perfect because David was far from it. He sinned over and over again. What it does mean is that Solomon must have a heart for the LORD and His Word, follow Him and no other, then the promise given by God to his father David would be continued through him (v.5).

This should be very encouraging to us. First of all, God hears our prayers. We may not receive an answer to our liking or in our timing but, He hears us. Secondly, we don’t have to be perfect, Jesus covered that base for us with His blood on Calvary. Finally, if our hearts are toward Him and His Word, and we do not leave Him to serve other Gods, He will be faithful to His promises toward us as well.

The Truth

“In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:2-3)