Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Second Coming

Revelation 19

In this chapter, John sees the exultation in heaven at the destruction of the Great Harlot on the earth below. Then he sees the marriage of the Lamb, which is followed by the return of Jesus Christ to earth at His victorious Second Coming.

Revelation 19 can be considered the apex of the book of Revelation because it describes the most important event remaining in history. Not only is the Second Coming of Christ perhaps the most dramatic event in Scripture, it ends the continually downward trend of history. Although sin and death remain for another one thousand years (Isa.65:20-25), the coming of the Righteous King to earth starts history on an upward path.

The most graphic portrayal of Christ’s second coming is found in Revelation 19:11-21. In this extended passage Jesus Christ is described as leading a procession of angels and saints or armies in heaven to claim the earth, destroy the armies of the world, and defeat the Antichrist and False Prophet. This passage shows that Christ’s return will be one that entails great physical destruction and many deaths. For those who are not Christ’s own, it will be a terrifying and terrible event. For those of us who know Him as Savior, it will be a time of great joy, vindication, and anticipation.

However, make no mistake, Jesus Christ will strike the nations and rule with a Rod of Iron.

The Truth

Now see that I, even I, am He, and there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; nor is there any who can deliver from My hand. For I raise My hand to heaven, and say, “As I live forever, if I whet My glittering sword, and My hand takes hold on judgment, I will render vengeance to My enemies, and repay those who hate Me. I will make My arrows drunk with blood, and My sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy.” (Deu.32:39-42)