Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Senior Saints

As a young boy, I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents as they lived just across the street. I can remember spending the night in their home on many occasions. My grandmother was a little Irish woman with a big heart who served others before herself. She was a real prayer warrior and I am sure she prayed for me and my brothers often. I can remember spending time with her playing canasta, dominos, gin rummy and watching wrestling, roller derby and the Price is Right. But mostly, just spending time with her.

There is so much to be said for, patriarchal leadership in the body of Christ. Senior saints have so much to offer younger people, especially in the ways the Lord has worked in their lives. Just spending time together can be beneficial for both and can bring the body of Christ much closer, while knitting the Church together. I recently introduced myself to an elder saint at Church and spent about 20 minutes just talking with him about some of his life experiences. When our conversation was completed, we were both blessed by the experience and a true kinship had attached.

Solomon writes in Proverbs 16:31, "The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness." There is no substitute for experience. Those who are, "full of days in the Lord", have had many victories and times of struggle to share. I think of my own life and how I have matured in Christ - as a result of God's chastening and instruction over the years - and have come to realize,
I have plenty to share as well. How about you? Young or old, I pray our Lord brings someone new into your life. Someone you can pour into or that can mentor you as, "iron sharpens iron."

The Truth
"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come." (Psalm 71:18)