Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Galatians 2 "Crucified With Christ"

"For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (vv.19-20)

Here in chapter 2 Paul is making his case for, “justification through faith." Paul taught that everyone who believes in Jesus (Jew or Gentile) is a member of God’s family based on faith in Him, not because they followed the law. For the law could not be kept, it proved our guilt, pointed to our sin, and showed the need for a savior. Furhtermore Paul is saying he is now dead to the external rules of the law, but alive to the internal rule of Jesus in his heart. 

Now as far as the Law goes, there was nothing wrong with the law. It wasn’t the law that died, but Paul died to the law. When Paul died to the law, then he could live to God. As long as he still tried to justify himself before God by all his law-keeping, he was dead. But when he died to the law then he could live to God. Now Paul anticipated those who might disagreed with him by asking, “Paul, when did you die to the law? You look alive to me!” Paul was happy to answer, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.” (v.20) 

Paul realized that on the cross, a great exchange occurred. He gave Jesus his old, try-to-be-right-before-God-by-the-law life, and it was crucified on the cross. Then Jesus gave Paul His life – Christ came to live in him. So Paul’s life wasn’t his own anymore, it belonged to Jesus Christ! Paul didn’t own his own life (that life died); he simply now managed the new life Jesus gave him.

When Paul said, "And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith," he didn’t mean that he lived a chronically sinful life. Paul understands what Jesus meant in the third chapter of John, ‘That which is born of the flesh is flesh’. (John 3:6) ‘Flesh’ here referrs to his physical body. The focus of this verse isn’t the flesh, it is faith. What Paul is saying is, "Though I am in this body of flesh, I now live by faith in the Son of God." The faith Paul lived by was not faith in himself, it wasn't faith in the law, or faith in what he could earn or deserve before God. It was faith in the Son of God, Jesus Christ – who loved him and gave Himself for him.

Before, Paul’s relationship with God was founded on what he could do for God – his faith was in himself. Now the foundation was what Jesus Christ had done for him – his faith was in Jesus. And Paul found a marvelous person to put his faith in! It was a person who loved him. It was a person who demonstrated that love when He gave Himself for Paul.

This new life in Christ, His presents, and the free gift of His Holy Spirit, is available to all who believe. Therefore, enjoy God’s grace and freedom today, and do not atempt to add your works to the finished work of Christ. (see connect with God to the right on this page)

The Truth: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).