Thursday, June 29, 2023

1 Samuel 30 "David Strengthened Himself In The LORD His God"

"So David and his men came to the city, and there it was, burned with fire; and their wives, their sons, and their daughters had been taken captive. Then David and the people who were with him lifted up their voices and wept, until they had no more power to weep. And David’s two wives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the widow of Nabal the Carmelite, had been taken captive. Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God." (vv.3-6)

When David and his army returned to Ziklag, to be reunited with their families, they discovered that the Amalekites had invaded the town, burned down their homes, and carried their families away (v.1-2). Not only did David lose his house and his family, but his own men turned against him, and were ready to stone him (v.6a) So, what did David do? He “strengthened himself in the Lord.”

It took a lot to bring David to this place, but now he is here, God is his only strength. This was backslidden and wayward David. Why would God strengthen him? Because God is rich in mercy and grace, and because David was now completely broken, ready to be filled. Sometimes we think we have to achieve God’s blessing or strength, but David shows us another way.

David’s strengthening probably came through looking back at all the ways in which God had protected him, provided for him and gave him victory in many perilous situations. It very well could have come in the form of praise to God through songs, as we know, David wrote many.

However, as he strengthened himself, he came out of his sorrow and inquired of the LORD, “shall I pursue them?” The Lord answered him directly in verse 8, “Pursue, for you shall overtake them and recover all.” Then Daivd and his 400 men acted on God’s direction and recovered every person and procession that was taken, along with enough spoil to share with the entire nation (v.26-30).

What a great lesson for us today. Even though David had been off track with God, by strengtheneing himself in the Lord, inquiring of the Lord, and following the Lord’s direction, he was used mightily.

The Truth: “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:2-3)