Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Exodus 31 "God's Gifting Through His Spirit"

"Now the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 'See, I have called by name Bezalel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship, to make artistic designs for work in gold, in silver, and in bronze, and in the cutting of stones for settings, and in the carving of wood, that he may work in all kinds of craftsmanship.'" (vv.1-5)

Here in chapter 31 the Lord points out to Moses the men that He has called and appointed to make the various designs for the Tabernacle (vv.1-11). These verses tell us that the "natural" skills, abilities and talents possessed by otherwise ordinary people, are gifts from God. Even though the persons themselves may not understand, "natural" gifts are generated through His Holy Spirit. Oh we can misuse them, but they are gifts from Him none-the-less.

I have no artistic ability whatsoever but both of my children are extremely talented, one an artist and the other a musician. There is no doubt in my mind these gifts were given to them by God. Yes they both work hard at their individual crafts but I could work 8 hours a day 7 days a week and never come close to their abilities. Why, because I was not gifted in that way. 

Our talents, given to us by God, are for purposes infinitely higher than our own. Find yours, use it for Him, and give thanks to the One who blessed you with it. 

The Truth: “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.” (Psalm 139:14)