Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Hebrews 8 “The New Covenant”

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people.” (v.10)

The Old covenant was based on keeping rules, regulations, and presenting sacrifices through a priest to God for the forgiveness of sin. The new covenant would not be written on stone, nor scroll, but in man's heart, and placed into his mind. Meaning, deep inside our soul, God's laws would speak to us, convicting us of sin and drawing us to Him for His forgiveness.  

And what could be clearer than the teaching of verses 1-6? Jesus Christ is a High Priest who serves at God's right hand in the true tabernacle in heaven, of which the tabernacle Moses built was just a copy and a shadow. Therefore, both Jesus' ministry and His covenant are superior to the old. The blood of Christ (not of bulls or goats), opened the door for this promised covenant which included not only full forgiveness of sin (v.12), but also the promised indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

Walking with the Lord in the new covenant and in His will, you don't have regulations, stipulations, obligations, which were the ways of the law. Instead, you have the leading of His Spirit guiding your heart and the promise that, “He will work within you” (Philippians 2:13).

The Truth: “I delight to do your will O my God, And Your law is within my heart.” (Psalm 40:8)