Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Ezekiel 15 “Trial by Fire”

“Therefore, thus says the Lord God, ‘As the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so have I given up the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and I set My face against them. Though they have come out of the fire, yet the fire will consume them. Then you will know that I am the Lord, when I set My face against them. ‘Thus I will make the land desolate, because they have acted unfaithfully,’ ” declares the Lord God. (vv.6-8)

Israel is pictured in today’s reading as a barren vine, good for nothing. It cannot be used to make even trivial items such as pegs to hang things on. It is fit only to become kindling for the fire. In the same way, the fire of God’s judgment will consume the nation because the people had been unfaithful (vv.7-8).

One day we all will stand before God to give an account of what we did here on earth. Those actions done in the flesh, in sin, with selfish motives will be like the barren vine mentioned here in our text, good for nothing. All will be consumed in the presence of the LORD. But those things we did in His name, in His service, and out of love for our heavenly Father, those shall stand the test of fire.

He that has ears to hear, let him hear, "For unto You O LORD, belongs mercy: for You render to every man according to his deeds." (Psalm 62:12)

The Truth: "For we must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil." (2 Corinthians 5:10)