Thursday, May 23, 2019

Ecclesiastes 2 “The Vanity of Pleasure”

“All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. Everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” (vv.10-11)

Life does not have to be a futile, meaningless chasing after the wind, if we look to please God instead of ourselves. God's Word gives us a tremendous advantage in making that choice, because it shows us the results of each path. Self-indulgence is a dead-end, but living to please God produces wisdom, knowledge and happiness (v.26).

The desire for pleasure isn’t wrong, God has built us for it. Paul reminds us that God “gives us richly all things to enjoy” (1 Tim. 6:17). Other passages welcome us to the healthy pleasure of food, friends, and the intimacy of a marriage relationship. But thinking that we can find lasting pleasure in people and things is ultimately an empty pursuit.

Scripture tells us that, “Our God shall supply all our needs according to His riches and glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19, Samuel 22:7), and that’s good enough for me.

The Truth: “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” (John 14:27)